Thursday, May 14, 2009

Introducing: Karen Dolmanisth & "Immanent and Transcending Circles of Time"


I went down to The Canal Gallery in Holyoke a bunch of years ago, and there was this incredible, world-like installation on a large open floor. It was like wandering in a dream made of bits of glass and sand and old wooden things and lots of stuff hanging from the ceiling. Really. I was awed. I felt that I wanted to know who lived there, like they were a wise alien race from a science fiction story. No description or picture really can convey enough, but they show a little bit what it was like. The installation was called "Immanent and Transcending Circles of Time" and it was by Karen Dolmanisth. I was so impressed and inspired I and will always remember it. It was the kind of art you wish you could make, and are really glad that someone did. If you can go see an installation of hers, go see it.

Now I am Facebook friends with her, and she said I could post some pictures here. The ones shown are of "Immanent and Transcending Circles of Time".

Links:
Her website
Her bio and another website
More photos of "Immanent and Transcending Circles of Time" from her Flickr stream


No comments: