Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Art by Donnabelle Casis


I went to the first Florence Night Out a few weeks ago, and have been putting up stuff from artists I saw there. This is from Donnabelle Casis, who has a studio in Florence. I asked her to tell me about her work, and was really glad I did, because she had interesting things to say. Here are her words from her website:
My current series explores identity and its relationship to markers and patterns: from ancient Filipino tribal tattoos and textiles, trajes de luces (suits of light) or bullfighting costumes, medieval chainmail and armor, Japanese kumihimo (braiding), and Pokemon figures. I am interested in how these symbols and colors reflect the bearer/wearer. I am also fascinated by the literal use of patterns in design and in the form of ritual. At what point do patterns change?

Visit her website to see and read more.

No comments: